Question: How do I order custom panels for the Targeted Gene Expression assay from 10x Compatible Partners?
Answer: For the Targeted Gene Expression assay, after designing custom panels using the 10x Genomics Custom Panel Designer, panels can be purchased as 5’-biotinylated oligo pools from the 10x Genomics Compatible Partner, Integrated DNA Technologies, Inc. (IDT), as described in detail below. IDT panels are supported for use as an 'add-on' or fully custom panels in the Single Cell Targeted assay and as add-on panels in the Spatial Targeted assay.
Fully custom panels for use in the Single Cell Targeted assay can also be generated by following our Demonstrated Protocol CG000412 for biotinylation and amplification of Twist Oligo Pools.
Furthermore, it may be possible to order panels from other vendors, as described here. However, panels from alternative vendors have not been validated for use with the Targeted Gene Expression assay and are not officially supported by 10x Genomics. Assay performance cannot be guaranteed when working with untested panel formats.
IDT panel formats
IDT's xGen Custom Hyb Panels are compatible as fully custom panels or as add-ons to the 10x pre-designed panels in the Targeted Gene Expression assay. There are three formats of xGen Custom Hyb Panels:
- xGen Custom Hyb Panel - Accel
- Faster turnaround time and lower cost
- xGen Custom Hyb Panel
- Includes xGen NGS functional test report
- xGen Custom Hyb Panel - Production
- Includes xGen NGS functional test report and quality documentation
Selecting the appropriate IDT panel format for the application is important for optimal results and minimizing cost. Please refer to IDT's website for more information regarding the different panel formats.
Steps for designing and ordering custom panels from IDT:*
1. Use the 10x Genomics Custom Panel Designer to generate a "Bait Design file" (.xlsx) for a fully custom panel or add-on panel.
- This file has a three-column format, with one line per bait:
2. Create a user name and password on the IDT website, or sign in under an existing account. Upload the Bait Design File (.xlsx) to IDT's website. This can be achieved by selecting "Upload completed form" on the "Order xGen Custom Hyb Panels" page.
- For lower-cost panels with faster turnaround time, select "Custom Hyb Panel - Accel" under the "Product" drop-down menu.
- For panels where functional test reports and/or quality documentation is desired, select "Custom Hyb Panel" or "Custom Hyb Panel - Production" under the "Product" drop-down menu.
- Custom panels can be purchased in 16 rxn (64 µl) and 96 rxn (384 µl) formats. The volume of custom panel needed per targeted assay will depend on the number of baits in the custom panel and whether it is used as an add-on or fully custom panel. For more information, please refer to the following article: How to dilute IDT xGen Custom Hyb Panels for the Targeted Gene Expression Assay?
3. Place an order with IDT.
4. After receiving the custom panels from IDT, store them at -20 °C until use.
- IDT has recently changed the names of their custom panel products listed in the User Guides (NGS Discovery Pools and xGen Lockdown Probe Pools) to xGen Custom Hyb Panels. We are working on updating our documentation to reflect this change. Please use the same dilution for xGen Custom Hyb Panels as is indicated for the NGS Discovery Pools in step 2.1. More information about diluting the xGen Custom Hyb Panels can also be found in the following article: How to dilute IDT xGen Custom Hyb Panels for the Targeted Gene Expression Assay?
Note on ordering add-on panels with fewer than 50 baits:
Please note that the minimum number of baits per order is 50. When purchasing custom panels with fewer than 50 baits, we recommend replicating the entire design as many times as necessary to reach the 50 bait minimum. For example, for a custom panel containing 18 baits, each bait can be duplicated three times for a total panel size of 54 baits. When using these small custom panels as add-on panels with 10x pre-designed panels, this duplication factor will be used when diluting the custom panel to a working concentration, following the Targeted Gene Expression User Guide protocol.
*Discontinued IDT Panels
IDT previously offered custom panels in two formats that have been tested by 10x Genomics: NGS Discovery Pools and xGenTM LockdownTM Probe Pools. Both panel formats have been discontinued but remain officially supported by 10x Genomics for use as fully custom panels or as add-ons to the 10x pre-designed panels in the Targeted Gene Expression assay.
Product: Targeted Gene Expression