Question: How can I avoid mRNA degradation during sample preparation and slide processing for Visium for FFPE?
Answer: While we have found that FFPE tissue is quite robust and resistant to RNA degradation, we would recommend following general best practices when working with RNA. Additional suggestions to avoid degradation include:
- Clean the microtome and water bath with RNase decontamination solution prior to sectioning
- Utilize a clean, new blade
- Use fresh reagents for tissue processing
- Store FFPE blocks at 4°C
- Use clean beakers (spray with RNase decontamination solution and/or autoclave prior to use)
- Use nuclease-free water for all steps of the Visium for FFPE workflow
- Use our recommended brands of staining reagents
- Avoid reusing aliquots of the same staining buffer for multiple experiments
- Set up the microscope using the Imaging Test Slide to capture the correct areas on the slide before beginning the Visium workflow to avoid leaving out the slide longer at room temperature than necessary during imaging.
Products: Visium for FFPE