Question: What sample types are compatible with the 3' CellPlex Kit for Cell Multiplexing?
Answer: Theoretically, the 3' CellPlex Kit is compatible with any cell/nuclei type. The sample types we have tested in-house are shown here and described in further detail below:
Cells and nuclei
- The 3' CellPlex Kit is compatible with cells and nuclei.
- Cells or nuclei isolated from frozen tissue are not supported.
- Only nuclei isolated from fresh cells using Demonstrated Protocol CG000124, which is our supported protocol for isolating nuclei from cells or tissues for use with the Chromium Single Cell 3' Gene Expression assay have been validated for use with CellPlex.
- The Cell Multiplexing Oligos (CMO's) in the 3’ CellPlex kit contain lipids that can label cell membranes and nuclear membranes.
- In theory, the 3’ CellPlex Kit is compatible with any species.
- We have performed in-house tests with human, mouse, rat, and monkey cells.
- We have not tested the 3’ CellPlex Kit with non-animal species (e.g., plant protoplasts) and cannot guarantee assay performance with these sample types.
Cell type and cell size
- We have tested the 3’ CellPlex Kit on a range of cell types and cell sizes, including PBMCs (~5 to 10 microns), dissociated mouse neurons (~9 microns), and various cell lines (~10 to 30 microns). We have also tested the 3’ CellPlex Kit on nuclei, which are smaller than the cell sizes mentioned above.
- We observed excellent labeling efficiency with 3’ CellPlex reagents across this range of cell/nuclei types and sizes.
- Note that cells larger than 50 microns are not recommended as they can cause clogs in the microfluidic channels of the 10x Genomics chips. See: What is the range of compatible cell sizes?
- Fixed samples have not been validated for use with CellPlex.
Please refer to our Technical Note on Cell Multiplexing, which shows excellent assay performance across different sample types and species.
Products: Single Cell Gene Expression, CellPlex